Asbestos is a fibrous mineral that’s resistant to chemicals and heat and very tough. It was also added to the building fabrics of countless older homes. As a worker or homeowner, the hazard exists when undertaking a renovation or defeat. The hazard is exhausting the asbestos fibres into the air. When a worker breathes, asbestos materials register the mouth and nose and flow down the air passages deep into the lungs. The fibers lodge in the fragile lung material where oxygen is absorbed into the blood. Immune system cells try and break down the asbestos fibres and become damaged and die. Scar tissue forms around the dead cadres and spreads as more staples embed in the lungs. Asbestos fibers can stay in the lungs for long periods, and the blemish tissue that results continues to develop for many years after exposure. Eventually so much scar tissue develops that the lungs stop working. Since the year 2000, more employees have died from asbestos disease in BC than any other workplace injury. For information on how to protect yourself from asbestos show, tour WorkSafeBC.com.